Old November 20th 08, 11:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster PAYG on rail to the edge of zone

On Nov 20, 6:54*am, David of Broadway
wrote:
Mr Thant wrote:
On 19 Nov, 21:47, David of Broadway
wrote:
But capping is valid everywhere that PAYG is accepted, which includes
both TfL and non-TfL services - including a portion of the OP's route.

But you are perfectly entitled to use the cap to get to TTK. What you
can't do is use it to get a discount on the long distance fare, which
is what not getting off the train amounts to.

I was merely replying to Mr. Anderson's suggestion that capping is a
special offer for TfL services. *In fact, capping is available
everywhere that PAYG is offered, TfL and non-TfL alike, as long as the
entire trip is available on PAYG.

I think that capping is a distraction here. There is a far greater
and more general problem of having to get off trains to use Oyster to
avoid paying the excessive fares that are applied to punish people who
use cash where PAYG is valid.

Or are we going to have a situation where the cash fare from just
outside London will be dramatically cheaper than the cash fare for the
part of the route on which PAYG is accepted?