Old November 20th 08, 09:10 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tim Woodall Tim Woodall is offline

Default Oyster PAYG on rail to the edge of zone

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:52:12 -0000,
Stephen Osborn stephen.osborn wrote:

"Tim Woodall" wrote in message
e.uk...
On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 06:34:05 -0800 (PST),
MIG wrote:.

There's better provision for people changing oyster cards than people
using the same card, not just changing trains!

Example Waford Junction - Z1 via Euston at 11am

Using a single card:
Entry Watford Junction -5.50
Exit Euston +2.50
Entry Euston Underground -3.00
Exit Z1 0.00

total 6.00

Using two cards:
Entry Watford Junction -5.50
Exit Euston +2.50
Entry Euston Underground -1.50
Exit Z1 0.00

Total 4.50

Tim,

I've only recently started using PAYG (I used to have a Z1-3 Travelcard on
my Oyster) so I am not familiar with all the intricacies. Can you please
explain why using two Oyster cards is cheaper in this case.

Peak OffPeak PeakCap OffpeakCap
WJ-Euston 5.50 3.00
WJ-Zone 1 6.00 3.50 17.10 12.60
Z1-Z1 1.50 1.50 6.30 4.80

The problem is that the peak time for WJ-Euston is only 7:00-9:30 (I
think, check that end time before relying on it) but the peak time for
WJ-Z1 and Z1-Z1 is 07:00-19:00

That means doing WJ-Euston plus Euston-Z1 as two separate journeys
after 9:30 is an offpeak 3.00 plus peak 1.50. But if you do it on the
same card, despite touching all the same readers it will be charged as a
single WJ-Z1 journey at peak time.

Here's when it actually happened to me:

12:16 Charing Cross Exit - £2.00 £30.90
12:05 Euston LUL Entry - £1.00 £32.90
12:03 Euston NR Exit £2.50 £33.90
11:36 Watford Junction Entry - £5.50 £31.40

Tim.

and there was light.

http://www.woodall.me.uk/