Old November 20th 08, 09:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Oyster PAYG on rail to the edge of zone

On Nov 20, 10:35*pm, "Paul Scott"
wrote:
"Tim Woodall" wrote in message

e.uk...

On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 17:52:12 -0000,
* *Stephen Osborn stephen.osborn wrote:
I've only recently started using PAYG (I used to have a Z1-3 Travelcard
on
my Oyster) so I am not familiar with all the intricacies. *Can you please
explain why using two Oyster cards is cheaper in this case.

* * * * * * * Peak *OffPeak PeakCap OffpeakCap
WJ-Euston * * 5.50 *3.00
WJ-Zone 1 * * 6.00 *3.50 * *17.10 * 12.60
Z1-Z1 * * * * 1.50 *1.50 * * 6.30 * *4.80

The problem is that the peak time for WJ-Euston is only 7:00-9:30 (I
think, check that end time before relying on it) but the peak time for
WJ-Z1 and Z1-Z1 is 07:00-19:00

That means doing WJ-Euston plus Euston-Z1 as two separate journeys
after 9:30 is an offpeak 3.00 plus peak 1.50. But if you do it on the
same card, despite touching all the same readers it will be charged as a
single WJ-Z1 journey at peak time.

Of course the LU peak charging times change in January IIRC, making this
less of an issue, with an additional off peak period from 0930 - 1600, but I
suspect this was lost in the noise when all the 'massive fare hike shock -
blame Boris' stories appeared...

Paul S- Hide quoted text -

I'm confused now. Are we talking the period when single fares are at
a higher rate, or are we talking about the period during which the
start of a journey contributes to a peak cap rather than an off-peak
cap?

I think only the former could advantage someone using two cards, if
the second journey starts after 0930, assuming no caps are reached.
If the off-peak cap is reached on a single card, one peak journey
won't affect it.

Then there's the issue of different caps for different zones. I am
confused by the terminology as to what is actually the issue here.