Old November 23rd 08, 09:18 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Bakerloo Line beyond Harrow & Wealdstone

On 23 Nov, 19:46, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 23 Nov, 18:54, "Jonathan Morton"

wrote:
Did I dream this, or is there currently talk of re-instating the Bakerloo
service to WJ?

In short, several years ago when the takeover of Silverlink/London
Overground by TfL was originally being planned, TfL proposed a major
service reconfiguration that excluded reextending the Bakerloo to
Watford and withdrawing the London Overground service so the trains
could be used elsewhere.

Evidently someone looked at the costs of doing this and decided it
wasn't worth the effort (extra Bakerloo stock, reinstating fourth
rail, signalling, etc) and it's no longer on the table. If it does
happen it'll be tied to the Bakerloo Line upgrade that's due in about
10 years time (resignalling, all new stock, etc), after all the other
tube lines have been upgraded.

You say "it's no longer on the table" but then "If it does happen
[...]". I've no desire to get into tortured metaphors about what
constitutes whether something is on or off the table, I'm just
interested in where things stand on this idea.

My impression of it was that of a somewhat vague long term
aspirational idea that had been floated a few years ago, one on which
no decision needed to be made until the Bakerloo upgrade but one that
nonetheless floated around for a while in the background and perhaps
is indeed still floating around there somewhere. You seem to sense
that it's an idea that has come and gone.

I guess that the recent temporary service reconfiguration on the NLL
and DC lines has at least provided a bit of raw data about travelling
patterns and whether the service could be withdrawn from Euston,
whether it would be workable and even desirable or not, what
passengers thought about it etc etc.