Old November 24th 08, 04:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Sat, Nov 22, 2008 at 11:56:10AM +0000, Neil Williams wrote:
David Cantrell wrote:
When I use a taxi, I don't want to have to find the nearest taxi layby
and wait there until an available taxi just happens to go past, I want
to walk to the nearest place that I know lots of taxis drive past, hail
one, and jump in with the taxi stopping for maybe all of 20 seconds.

This part does, admittedly, show a bit of personal bias in that I more
or less never use taxis unless there is no other option, which in
central London is basically never.

It's worth noting that Singapore does have "taxi stops" of this
nature, though.

How are they distributed?

We have something broadly similar in London anyway - minicabs, where you
go to a particular place and get a car ride. But they serve a different
purpose, at least the way I use them.

I use a minicab late at night to get home, when the train service has
started to wind down. I use a black cab earlier in the day for situations
where, eg, I've left work later than expected and am in a hurry to get
to the theatre.

--
David Cantrell | Godless Liberal Elitist

If you have received this email in error, please add some nutmeg
and egg whites, whisk, and place in a warm oven for 40 minutes.