Old November 24th 08, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Constant anouncements on London Buses

On Mon, 24 Nov 2008 17:57:40 +0000, David Cantrell
wrote:

How are they distributed?

Good question... I forget. ISTR there are quite a lot of them but I
can't recall how many.

We have something broadly similar in London anyway - minicabs, where you
go to a particular place and get a car ride. But they serve a different
purpose, at least the way I use them.

Taxi ranks are a bit different in that they tend to be used for
pick-up only. The big problem is that it's drop-off that takes time
and causes far more of an obstruction than pick-up, as the taxi user
has to fumble for change etc, rather than just driving straight off as
the user gets in.

Idea: Why can't taxis accept Oyster? It would obviously have to be
outside the cap etc, but it would seem a good idea? No fumbling for
change, and taxis not blocking the bus lanes for too long?

Neil

--
Neil Williams