Old November 25th 08, 05:40 PM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] Mait001@aol.com is offline

Default OT - Parking in Cambridge

On Nov 25, 5:49�pm, "Steve Dulieu"
wrote:
Evening All,

Apologies for the off topic post but I know that some of you are familiar
with Cambridge and I'm after a bit of advice. I'm taking my 12 year old
niece to a concert at the Corn Exchange on Saturday night, we'll be driving
up from London and then back following the concert. Anyone got any
recommendation for parking close to the Corn Exchange that's either free or
doesn't cost too much?

--
Cheers, Steve.
Change jealous to sad to reply.

Steve,

The Grand Arcade car park (formerly Lyon Yard) which is part of the
big shopping centre near the Corn Exchange is the nearest car park,
but I have no idea what the Saturday evening cost is.

From 5p.m. I think parking is free on Saturdays all along Queens' Road
(the long road that runs along the Western edge of The Backs on the
opposite side of the River Cam from the colleges, but this road gets
pretty full by that time, so to be guaranteed a space there you'd need
to get there earlier than 5p.m. Adjoining roads like West Road are
similar. This is 10 minute walk from Cor Exchange (via King's College)
but that route would be closed on your return journey after the
concert so it would take twice as long to walk back, via Silver
Street.

Having said that, if you are only arriving after say 6.30 or 7p.m.,
Queens' Road and surrounding streets will have spaces available, since
all the shoppers and tourists will have left by then. But, then allow
a 20 minute walk EACH way, since King's College will be closed to the
public and you'll have to take the long route via Silver Street in
both directions.

It's also a great shame tha the really good Park & Ride doesn't
operate much after 7p.m. But check their website just to make sure I
haven't missed some pre-Christmas evening service!

Pity you're not (I assume) a member of a college - the free parking
they offer to graduates is worth its weight in gold!

Marc.