Old December 6th 03, 03:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london
JDikseun JDikseun is offline

Default Unions to decide safety inspections on LUL track?

"I'm a lady you know" wrote in message ...
Mr Crow is to decide how safety inspections are carried out on the
Underground, see BBC news

Not true - Its not "how" - its "how often" as I see it.

Said they (inspections) used to be every 24 hrs but over yrs has been moved
to every 72 hrs in some cases - increasing potential risk.

I think you missed the point.
I just think it's in everyone's interests to have the right people
making decisions about safety regimes. So what we should be asking is:
Is Mr Crow suitably qualified and experienced to even be making these
decisions?

Btw (off topic, but to address your question): Inspection frequency is
based on a very wide range of factors, one of them being metallurgical
quality. Steel in the 60's was poor quality, and flaws were common. So
more frequent inspections made sense. Also, ultrasonic testing did not
exist. Vastly better quality steel, plus ultrasonic testing, makes
more frequent patrolling a waste of money. If Mr Crow was an expert,
he'd know this!
Anyway, they're looking at a whole lot more than just frequency of
inspections.