Old November 27th 08, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Barry Tom Barry is offline

Default Western Extension Scrapped [Congestion Charging]

Andrew Heenan wrote:
"Tom Barry" wrote ...
I'll make a point of not going to Kensington for my shopping, anyway.
The current scheme stays until 2010, for legal reasons, by the way.

Even Boris' BlunderBuses won't deliver the goods now - they'll really need
that open rear platform, as they'll never reach the bus stops!

I'm pretty sure the consultation was flawed, too, since there were two
sets of results announced achieved by two different methods and they're
not even close to each other on the same question (slight majority
against abolition on the second one, overwhelming support on the first one).

Boris preferred the results of the larger survey size, which I gather
was achieved by people being sufficiently concerned to write in. I've
no idea whether any consideration was made to weighting this statistically.

Actually, one council, Hammersmith and Fulham, did urge its residents to
write in and support abolition, which in itself rather biases it - I'm
not sure if the retention camp could call upon similar public resources.

I'd also be interested in whether that's considered to be an acceptable
method of consultation for the statutory hoops that now have to be gone
through.

Oh, and finally, there was a strong majority at consultation in favour
of the Cross River Tram, and look where that went, and there's no
consultation on bendy buses at all.

Tom