Old November 27th 08, 03:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andrew Heenan Andrew Heenan is offline

Default Western Extension Scrapped [Congestion Charging]

Western extension: Londoners have spoken and the Mayor has listened

[Please note, this is NOT the whole press release; rather than just read my
selection, follow the link below!]

'As a Mayor that keeps his promises I am instructing Transport for London to
begin work on the process of a formal consultation on the removal of the
Western Extension.

'One thing every body should be assured of is my determination to make it
easier for Londoners to get around our great city

'Transport for London is working on a series of measures aimed at easing
congestion and smoothing traffic flow, which include rephasing traffic
signals and cracking down hard on the chaos caused by badly-planned road
works.

'They are also setting up a task force with external experts to review
further ways in which traffic flows can be smoothed.

Removing the scheme
A third supported changing the way that the scheme operates.

A draft revision to the Mayor's Transport Strategy reflecting his intention
to remove the Western Extension will be the subject of a 12-week statutory
public and stakeholder consultation scheduled for summer 2009.

Following this, TfL would also need to consult the public and stakeholders
on a variation to the Congestion Charging Scheme Order to formally remove
the Western Extension.

The Western Extension cannot be removed until these statutory consultation
procedures have been concluded and the Mayor has taken into account the
views expressed in the consultations and decided whether or not to confirm
his decision.

The earliest that the extension could be removed is spring 2010.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/corporate/medi...tre/10590.aspx