Old November 27th 08, 09:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andrew Heenan Andrew Heenan is offline

Default Dagenham Dock and Gateway Bridge

"Tom Anderson" wrote:
The relevance to London, as well as Dartford, is that our congestion
charge
would be much cheaper to administer with electronic beacons in
subscribing
cars

Really? Is ANPR that expensive?

Relatively, yes; the hardware is more complex and prone to breakdown and
damage, and the recognition is a several-stage process, which requires a
fair degree of human intervention (and is still open to dispute!).

Beacons are a simply process by comparison, with Crapita finding it much
harder to add in extra expenses.

There's one thing about the hatters that i don't get. They don't want to
be tracked by oyster card, road charging beacon, ANPR, or CCTV gait
recognition. So why don't they just buy bikes?

Bicycle bell recognition may be in its infancy, but I'll have you know that
several studies are progressing on this major surveillance issue.

And did you know that no two tyre prints are identical? Even when new ...
they are made unique as an art form, by subsistence-wage workers in
Southeast Asia.

You heard it here first. Or second. Whatever.
--
Andrew

"When 'Do no Evil' has been understood, then learn the harder, braver rule,
Do Good." ~ Arthur Guiterman