Old December 1st 08, 03:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Boltar Boltar is offline

Default New London Taxi

On Dec 1, 3:24 pm, Adrian wrote:
Mmmm. Every London cyclist I know seems to loath bendis with a _passion_.
Usually based on a near-death-experience.

Most cyclists seem to be pretty clueless with regards to basic
survival techniques on the road. They jump red lights, pass vehicles
on the inside near left turns, then surprise! One day they're a jam
sandwich under someones wheels and yet for some reason its always the
drivers fault.

OK, so scale the RM width up from 2440mm (8') to 2550mm. You've just gone
up from 7.5t to 7.8t.
Scale the RM length up from 9.1m (30' RML) to 10.8m (Dennis Enviro 400),
and you're up to 9.2t. So where'd that other few tons come from on the
nice shiny modern "fuel-efficient" bus, then?

Crash protection and emissions control systems I should imagine.

Bendis just plain don't fit London streets with tight junctions,
pedestrian refuges and frequent traffic lights.

********. They fit fine on all the main roads. Funnily enough so do
HGVs.

B2003