Old December 1st 08, 05:16 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
1506 1506 is offline

Default Crossrail NOT making connections

On Nov 27, 2:27*am, John B wrote:
On Nov 27, 9:33*am, Boltar wrote:

Crossrail should take over the Hammersmith branch. *But there is the

What would be the point of that? It wouldn't make the service any
quicker and would reduce the number of trains on the northern part of
the circle line.

Cutting out the flat junction at Praed Street, which creates a clear
run from High Street Kensington to east of Baker Street and reduces
the performance pollution that makes the Circle a misery. You'd
compensate by extending the Wimblewares to Barking (or to Aldgate and
Met to Barking, or whatever).

Precisely, Circle line operation would be much simplified. Also, the
Hammersmith Branch would have an improved service. And, the Mishigas
caused by reversing so many Crossrail trains at Paddington would be
resolved.
question of a maintenance depot for the Circle Line. *If the depot at

And probably a question of loading gauge too I suspect.

Unlikely - C-stock are a reasonable size. Platform length would be a
problem though.

This could be the opportunity to rationalize the number of stations
along the Hammersmith branch. I suspect that if all the existing ones
remained that after platform lengthening they would become very close
together.