Old December 1st 08, 10:26 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
Miles Bader Miles Bader is offline

Default Do you prefer 2+2 or 3+2 seating?

1506 writes:
probability of having to stand, or to travel on a 3+2 train with more chance
of getting a seat but a cramped one if you get it.

For me, I'll take the first option any time. i.e. 2 + 2 seating is
always preferable, even if one has to utilize the more generous
standing space.

It's kind of half-full-half-empty, I think. The seats in 3+2 are
narrower, so if you're, er, "hefty", you might not be so happy.
However, besides the increased chance of getting a seat when it's really
crowded, 3+2 also gives you a greater chance of having an empty seat
next to you when it's _not_ crowded. That's quite nice I think.

[On the newest shinkansens, they made the car bodies wider, so they
switched to 3+2 seating. On non-peak trains, which often seem to be
around 70% capacity, this is actually great, as they try to arrange
reservations to keep the middle seats empty. On crammed peak trains,
it's certainly better than standing for two hours... :-]

-Miles

--
Egotist, n. A person of low taste, more interested in himself than in me.