Old December 2nd 08, 01:13 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mike Hughes Mike Hughes is offline

Default New London Taxi

In message , neverwas
writes

The only reason that the TX has a monopoly is because alternative
vehicles simply were not bought in enough volume to make a profit.
That was frequently because they had more problems that the FX/TX
range. Whether the Merc will be able to continue remains to be seen

Is there any talk yet of issues of recognition/branding with the Vito or
anything else other than TXs? Until now the distinctive
shape of the vehicle has been a pretty good guide to it being a licensed
taxi. (I suppose Prince Philip, Stephen Fry et al may have had to get
used to people
waving at them - or possibly trying to open the doors at traffic
lights.) In contrast there are plenty of other vehicles including many
private hire vehicles which look like the Vito. Will the orange
stickers on the early Vitos be a fixture- so we might perhaps end up
with London [partly] orange cabs in place of the traditional black?

I have seen the new Mercs being passed by as customers didn't recognise
them as a taxi, but as more appear that will become less of a problem.

There was one opposite reaction I've seen. I was at Heathrow (T2) on
night when someone ignored my offer of help with her luggage (I was 3rd
turn), passed the first taxi without any comment and then went up to the
2nd cab which was a Merc in the mistaken belief that he was a mincab and
would offer her a cheap price to Abbey Wood! She left without a taxi.

(And while I'm here, I'm sorry my comment "I don't see what merits the
TX4 has over it" was
unclear. I have no view one way or the other really; I intended only to
offer an alternative to the OP's regrets
about losing the traditional style. And, as was manifest, I didn't know
about the prospect of manufacturing going offshore.)

--
Mike Hughes
at home in Tarring, West Sussex, England