Old December 2nd 08, 02:39 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default A foot and cycle bridge across Barking Creek as part of the DLRDagenham Dock extension?

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Graham Harrison wrote:

"Tom Anderson" wrote in message
h.li...
On Mon, 1 Dec 2008, Mr Thant wrote:

On 1 Dec, 18:51, Tom Anderson wrote:
The DLR extension to Dagenham Dock, now shelved AIUI, involves building a
rail bridge across Barking Creek, aka the River Roding, right at the
creek
mouth, the line passing shorewards of the sewage works at Beckton.

The last iteration of the plan decided a tunnel was the preferred option,
due to the height of the bridge required by shipping regulations.

Bugger! I hadn't realised Barking Creek was in use by any ships. No chance
of a bike tunnel too, i suppose!

Thanks also to Mr Scott for pointing this out to me.

Why should the fact that it's a tunnel mean that a pedestrian/cycle
facility is ruled out? A third bore could be used for this acting as an
emergency evacuation route if ever necessary.

My gut feeling is that adding a third bore to a two-bore setup is a lot
more expensive than adding a footbridge to a railway bridge. In fact, i
can't see how there being two bores there already makes the third any
cheaper, so it would be as expensive as building it as a standalone.

Having a separate escape tunnel is probably not justifiable for a tunnel
this short, sadly.

tom

--
I could tell you a great many more particulars but suppose that you are
tired of it by this time. -- John Backhouse, Trainspotter Zero