Old December 2nd 08, 09:09 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit
1506 1506 is offline

Default Crossrail NOT making connections

On Dec 2, 11:38*am, MIG wrote:
On Dec 2, 6:14*pm, Graeme Wall wrote:

In message
* * * * * "Peter Masson" wrote:

"Graeme Wall" wrote

Hammersmith to Shepherds Bush inclusive are straight platforms, I don't
recall any of the ones from there up to Royal Oak being curved but it's
been a long time since I used that section.

IIRC Westbourne Park is curved. Platform lengths would have to be just
about doubled to take Crossrail trains.

That would involve a curve at Shepherds Bush. As Mr Thant has pointed out, it
is not really a viable proposition.

One thing about it is that it would remove what is totally unviable in
the current teacup proposal, which is the number of terminating trains
at Edgware Road, particularly with people having to run over a bridge
at one end of the platforms as they find out which train is going
first.

But it's hard to see that the solution is to shunt Crossrail down to
Hammersmith, when it should concentrate on striking out for Reading
and beyond.

I would rather lose the excessive proposed frequency on the
Hammersmith Line and extend trains from Wimbledon round the teacup,
leaving the Hammersmith to Barking as it is.

Crossrail SHOULD reach Reading. But, even then there are, as I
understand plans, to reverse CR trains at Paddington. Given the vast
population west of Paddington that would like a direct connection to
the City of London, I believe these terminating trains should go
somewhere!