Old December 2nd 08, 09:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Colin McKenzie Colin McKenzie is offline

Default New London Taxi

wrote:
In article ,
(Colin McKenzie) wrote:
Difference between tonne and ton? RMLs were always labelled as
7t15cwt - so your figure is high unless the replacement engines
were half a ton heavier than the originals. RMs were 7t5cwt.

RMLs are definitely over 8 tonnes now. Now I think of it, it was RMs that
were 7 tons 15 cwt.

See http://www.routemaster.org.uk/faq_fandf.html, and other sources.

The only types over 8 tons when new were the RCL (with a bigger engine)
and FRM (with a rear engine). I think the FRM was lighter than any other
rear-engined double-decker used in London.

I'm not arguing about what RMLs weigh now - I haven't looked. But 8
tonnes is 1.6% less than 8 tons.

Colin McKenzie

--
No-one has ever proved that cycle helmets make cycling any safer at the
population level, and anyway cycling is about as safe per mile as walking.