Old December 4th 08, 04:19 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Andrew Heenan Andrew Heenan is offline

Default Crossrail NOT making connections

"Tom Anderson" wrote
If Roland, or anyone else, wants to claim that no terminus is more
appropriate than Shenfield, and backs that up with reasoned arguments,
then the correct response is to consider those arguments. Dismissing them
out of hand is the act of someone driven by overwhelming affection for
their own opinions, not any interest in the truth.

As it happens, up till today, no one has offered one single argument FOR
Shenfield, other than operational convenience. I've suggested more than once
that that is simply not an adequate way to do it; it's that kind of approach
that gets rail enthusiasts a bad name.

I am quite serious when I say that I don't have the knowledge, because it is
simply NOT good enough to look at a map and 'hey, that's handy" - it needs a
knowldge of the commercial and population issues to even come up with a
shortlist. I don't have that local knowledge, and delighted that since I
wrote the note that you 've responded to, Mr Perry has come up with several
very interesting, constructive an useful comments, based on his local
knowledge, as well as his knowledge of public transport.

While "I hear what you're saying" - and yes, I have been happy to play
devil's advocate - this thread could actually be a useful part of the debate
rather than

1. It should go there because it's operationaly convenient
2. It should go there because I live there.

--
Andrew

"When 'Do no Evil' has been understood, then learn the harder, braver rule,
Do Good." ~ Arthur Guiterman