Old December 6th 08, 06:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london
[email protected] jamessan@hotmail.co.uk is offline

Default Reading display

On 6 Dec, 01:32, pedan3 wrote:
Took the slow train from Paddington to Reading and back today (thus
saving money by using Freedom Pass to maximum extent).

You dont need to do that. With your freedom pass you can buy a
boundary zone 6 ticket return to reading and travel on any train.

On the way back, the train information display in the main hall at
Reading showed the train terminating at Ealing Broadway, as did the
dot matrix indicators on the platforms.

On a different display screen, which I almost missed, was the
information that all such trains are shown as terminating at Ealing
Broadway, but "of course" (in the words of the second display panel)
they run to Paddington.

Couldn't they have said that in the first place? *If I hadn't seen the
second display panel, I'd have got out at Ealing and taken the tube.
Is there a reason for any of this?

If you are going from Reading direct to Paddington I cant think of
anybody who need to do that on the slow train. Unfortunatly many
people just see Paddington and jump on the train and then spend about
an hour on a journey that should take 25 minutes. So the decision has
been taken, correct in my view, to advertise the trains as you
describe.

The same applies to the slow trains from Pad to Oxford which usually
show terminating at Radley .