Old December 8th 08, 12:30 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default Westfield Shepherd's Bush

Richard J. wrote:
Mr Thant wrote:
On 6 Dec, 12:32, Alex Ingram wrote:
Indeed. If this is the future of retail then it's a future in a very
different climate.

http://flickr.com/photos/nuttyxander...72157608819610...

The glass building at the bottom of the stairs was designed (and
originally built) as a waiting room, with the entrance facing the
camera. That's why the steelwork on the left is so ugly, as it was
put in when the end wall was removed.

Would it have been possible to move the whole station further into
the shopping centre boundary and rebuild it totally, or are the
curves a problem that negates such useful planning?

I think wonga is the thing that negates it or anything like it. TfL
were meant to dig some passages underground to spread passengers
along the platform, but didn't want to pay for it.

It doesn't need "passages underground". It just needs some canopies
over the open platforms to keep the rain off. It beggars belief that
a new urban station has been built to the standards of a 19th century
rural halt, with no protection from the weather apart from the small
area at the foot of the stairs.

Sorry, just realised that the para I replied to relates to the Central Line
station. My comment relates to the Overground station.
--
Richard J.