Old December 8th 08, 11:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Andrew Heenan Andrew Heenan is offline

Default Crossrail NOT making connections

"John Salmon" wrote:
As a matter of interest, where did 'IG' come from? In my view, its
derivation is the least obvious of all the postcodes. I can work out all
the other slightly obscure ones e.g. SP=Salisbury Plain, DG=Dumfries &
Galloway etc., but the only suggestion I've ever heard for IG is Ilford &
Gants Hill, which seems unlikely.

IL had probably been stolen by somewhere else.
There's a few weirdities around in postcodes.
Bristol is BS, which I always felt was a tad unfair.