Old December 9th 08, 01:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Theo Markettos Theo Markettos is offline

Default Who to complain to about fares?

wrote:

What I was attempting to explain is that from Fleet to London (clearly
within the old NSE 50 mile limit) you would only expect Anytime Day and
Offpeak Day and SOP ( a day ticket). The longer period returns
equivalent to the old Opens and 'Savers', (and previously Network Away
breaks) are probably not available to London.

That's annoying, if you're going away from the weekend you can't buy
your ticket from a machine. It was annoying for me because I couldn't
get the ticket I wanted from LUL at St Pancras, and it would have been
even more annoying if I'd had a tight connection to get to Waterloo
and catch a train, or if there had been a serious price differential
between a single-with-tube and single+oyster.

I don't think there /are/ any period returns for distances shorter than
50-ish miles in the south east. So if you wanted to do Fleet-London on a
Friday and back on a Sunday you'd have to buy two singles, whether you did
it from the machine or the office.

(Anyone know if there are cases where it's cheaper to buy a period return to
some faraway station via London than two singles to London?)

If you're travelling by Eurostar or boat-train there are some special
tickets to 'London International', which are valid for two months and on any
train. You'd need to buy these from an office and present your Eurostar
tickets. There may also be some period returns for airports (eg
Cambridge-Stansted has a SVR-equivalent Off-Peak Return, but
Cambridge-Bishop's Stortford doesn't)

Theo