Old December 9th 08, 02:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Tom Anderson Tom Anderson is offline

Default Crossrail NOT making connections

On Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Roland Perry wrote:

In message , at 22:29:59
on Mon, 8 Dec 2008, Tom Anderson remarked:

I don't know if you remember, but we were talking about Crossrail, and
connecting with it

I thought we were talking about the likelihood that a person from
Southend would travel to London via Shenfield (rather than to Fenchurch
Street), if the line became Crossrail and all the trains became
all-stations stoppers.

I trace the genealogy of this subthread back to this post by Mr Thant:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....b0af8b19dab5cb

Via the following chain of replies:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....5d269add451629
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....57ecfb3007e146
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....efee24afe9270a
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....efb7791e178f85
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....c93a777e2eb7aa
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....6937b72ddbad7e
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....cb4cb407687f05
http://groups.google.co.uk/group/uk....677b0ea2bc0926

And my reading of that thread is we were discussing the relative merits of
Shenfield and Stratford as termini for Crossrail by considering how
quickly people from Essex could get there. What's relevant to that is the
speed with which they can get from Shenfield to Stratford on their own
trains. The speed of getting from the start to Shenfield doesn't really
come into Shenfield vs Stratford.

If we were talking more generally, then you'd be absolutely right that a
service from Southend calling all stops to Shenfield wouldn't be fast in
an absolutely sense.

tom

--
The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday
thinking. -- Albert Einstein