Old December 9th 08, 08:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Reading display

On Sun, 7 Dec 2008 10:54:06 -0800 (PST), sweek
wrote:

In the Netherlands there are two simple types of trains, stopping and
intercity ones. The Dutch train indicator displays are quite big and
display all the stops on one big screen. You'll often see a sign that
says: "Stopping train to Utrecht", calling at XXX, YYY, ZZZ, Utrecht).
Intercity will arrive in Utrecht before this train." Or something
along those lines, I haven't been there for a long time I must say.

This is somewhat sporadic. Most Dutch displays are of the Solari
flap-board type, and because of the limited number of fields it is
common that all stations are *not* shown. However, because they
operate a true Taktfahrplan, it's relatively easy to find out that
more or less all ICs serve A, D and F, and that a Stoptrein serves all
of A, B, C, D, E and F.

You do sometimes get helpful hints as well, but IMX not often. And
one thing they're not good at is displaying a decent all-platforms
departure board at platform level to assist in making a connection.

In terms of the German example, I do recall one train from Hamburg
that was shown as Bremen-Osnabrueck, Essen-Duesseldorf, KOELN-KOBLENZ
on a 3 line display, despite the fact that it went to Basel. This is
probably a similar example to the UK ones given.

Neil

--
Neil Williams