Old December 10th 08, 08:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Neil Williams Neil Williams is offline

Default Reading display

On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 03:19:34 -0800 (PST), Rupert Candy
wrote:

Exactly in the way you describe (as do several other 'real' European
countries) - using a nationally consistent hierarchy of names/
designations for trains (ICE/EC/IC/IR/RE/RB/S-Bahn etc). This sort of
standardisation is sadly entirely beyond our grasp (cf. the use of a
national symbol in Germany for U-Bahn, S-Bahn and bus/tram stop,
despite different operators in different cities). I don't really know
why.

We have for many years had a standard symbol for a bus stop nationally
(though it is increasingly being stylised by some Councils), namely a
black-on-white bus symbol (as per those found on road signs) with "Bus
Stop" in a sans-serif font underneath. For some reason, London sees
fit to do its own thing.

Neil

--
Neil Williams