Old December 13th 08, 08:03 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Duncan Duncan is offline

Default Waterloo gateline

In article 51cff96c-24a0-4cc1-b500-09d23f112817
@q36g2000vbn.googlegroups.com, says...
It is switched on and it still seems to be causing quite a few
problems. I may be wrong here but are the gates working in both
directions at the same time? That's what it looked like the last few
days to me. They really need to make sure that people from 17/18 exit
via platform 19 as we almost didn't make our trains due to the high
number of people trying to get off via the small number of gates at
17/18.

There is an article in the current SWT e-Motion magazine which suggests
that the gates aren't bi-directional:

"Controllers will switch the direction of the gates to make more
available for passengers coming into or out of the station, depending on
the time of day. ?In the morning rush, when we have more than 40,000
people leaving the station in one hour, most gates will be in exit
mode,? says Peter Hurst. ?The new gate line should smooth the passenger
flow, especially at peak times.?

http://www.southwesttrains.co.uk/SWT...Story/_Issue28
_InsideStory_pg2.htm

I expect that the automatic wide gates will be bi-directional though
based on other stations.

Duncan