Old December 14th 08, 06:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Waterloo gateline

On 14 Dec, 18:38, "Peter Masson" wrote:

"Neil Williams" wrote:

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 06:02:00 -0800 (PST), Mizter T
wrote:

The point Mr Thant is making is that in a sense Waterloo W&C line
offers ungated access to the LU network

So, last time I checked, did Kensington Olympia.

I wasn't suggesting for a moment that it was the only one! It's no big
secret to say Finsbury Park is another - though it's particularly
notable because it's so busy. Paul C suggested a little while back
that there might be a new plan to gate this station in the pipeline,
but it does present particular difficulties. Another thing to bear in
mind is that at some smaller stations, particularly those further out
of town, the gateline might not be staffed all the time hence the
gates will have to be left open - that said the recent shift of staff
out of ticket offices and out onto the station will have freed up more
to be on gateline duties, which helps to keep the gates operational
(i.e. closed).

and several stations where you can transfer from a National Rail train which
was joined at an ungated station to a LUL train without passing through
gates (e.g. Stratford, Harrow & Wealdstone, Greenford, Farringdon, Highbury
& Islington, Upminster, etc).

Quite - the LU network is far from existing in its own hermetically
sealed bubble.