Old December 14th 08, 11:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
David of Broadway David of Broadway is offline

Default Oyster validity

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 09:08:48 on Sun, 14
Dec 2008, David of Broadway remarked:
I believe it's also illegal to sell/transfer the cards, so someone
else who happens to be visiting NY can use up the money.

It most certainly is permitted to give or lend a MetroCard to a friend
while you're not using it

But what about selling them? (On eBay or wherever).

I don't think that's legal. (Whether it's done in practice is a
different question.)

But is it really worth the trouble? How much do you typically have left
over on your card when you leave? If you don't know of anyone back home
who could use a MetroCard, you could always hand it to a stranger on
your way out. You never know - someone could return the favor on your
next trip! (I once got a free ride or two at the airport from a
departing French tourist.)
--
David of Broadway
New York, NY, USA