Old December 16th 08, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Stratford platform changes

On 16 Dec, 14:55, Mizter T wrote:
On 16 Dec, 12:28, Mr Thant
wrote:

On 16 Dec, 12:18, Walter Briscoe wrote:

The person who answered was not able to answer my next question: will
the Main Ticket Hall and the Jubilee Line Concourse be joined on the
level rather than via escalators, lifts and stairs as currently happens?

No, because the tracks through the middle will also be reused by the
DLR, to reach Stratford International.

Indeed. It's is a rather odd arrangement for their to be tracks
running through a station concourse - though of course the alignment
came first, the concourse being pretty recent innovation, as it's a
result of the mid/late 90's rebuild of Stratford station for the
Jubilee Line Extension. It rather puts me in mind of the old
arrangement at Waterloo, whereby there was a little-used line that ran
through the concourse linking the L&SWR's mainlines with the SER's
lines at what is now called Waterloo East (the cast iron bridge over
Waterloo Road being a remnant of this).

It was a bit like that at Liverpool Street, where two platforms went
much further back and if you were walking along the concourse near the
buffers you'd have to go up the stairs to the walkway to get across
(or walk a long way round).