Old December 16th 08, 04:11 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Touching in on route 18

On 16 Dec, 16:55, John B wrote:

On Dec 16, 3:13 pm, Matthew Dickinson
wrote:

I've noticed that on the sides of the bendys on route 18, the stickers
telling PAYG users to touch in have had the stickers that are usually
on the assault screens placed over them.

This would imply that all Oystercard users on route 18 have to touch
in. Does anyone know if this is in fact the case?

According to the letter of the rules, all Oyster users are supposed to
touch in where relevant, even travelcard holders.

In practice, this only applies to PAYG.

I gathered some evidence about this a while back (after Graeme Wall
pronounced that I was a fare evader when I said I didn't always touch-
in on bendy buses - hard to do with a paper ticket, but also something
that one doesn't need to do with a Travelcards or bus passes loaded on
Oyster) but I never got round to composing and posting it. I'll try
and gather it all together at some point and present it here.

As John B says, under the Oyster card T&Cs it's technically a
requirement - but passenger-facing publicity does not mention this.
Fare inspectors don't bat an eyelid either.

However one thing that's worth bearing in mind is that Oyster-derived
usage data is used by TfL to assess demand and ridership on the bus
network (I read that somewhere in a TfL board paper a while back) - so
perhaps it's worth touching-in anyway just so as to ensure your
journey gets counted.