Old December 16th 08, 04:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Stratford platform changes

On 16 Dec, 16:15, MIG wrote:

On 16 Dec, 14:55, Mizter T wrote:

(snip)

Indeed. It's is a rather odd arrangement for their to be tracks
running through a station concourse - though of course the alignment
came first, the concourse being pretty recent innovation, as it's a
result of the mid/late 90's rebuild of Stratford station for the
Jubilee Line Extension. It rather puts me in mind of the old
arrangement at Waterloo, whereby there was a little-used line that ran
through the concourse linking the L&SWR's mainlines with the SER's
lines at what is now called Waterloo East (the cast iron bridge over
Waterloo Road being a remnant of this).

It was a bit like that at Liverpool Street, where two platforms went
much further back and if you were walking along the concourse near the
buffers you'd have to go up the stairs to the walkway to get across
(or walk a long way round).

This was a remnant of the link between the Great Eastern and the
Metropolitan Railway, was it not? Afraid that's a bit before my time -
I've only ever known the 'new' Liverpool St.