Old December 19th 08, 10:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default LT Goldcard

On 19 Dec, 01:23, MIG wrote:
On Dec 19, 12:32*am, SamB wrote:

On Dec 19, 12:13*am, MIG wrote:

Good question, one that I've wondered about in the past. First off,
obviously the only National Rail ticket offices that deal with Oyster
whatsoever are at stations where Oyster PAYG is accepted.

And Lewisham, for some reason, although I think the ticket office can
only do it by going off somewhere away from the counter, so not ideal
to ask for if there's a queue behind you.

The reason being (I assume) that the DLR station has an oyster
machine, and Southeastern got fed up of people renewing Oyster cards
in the DLR station, then using Southeastern.

I don't know that that explains it. *Firstly, DLR was accepting PAYG
long before there was a machine (which was installed a while before
the ticket office facility).

Secondly, the Oyster machine is at the NR ticket office, and thirdly
DLR stations don't generally have Oyster machines or any facility for
topping up Oyster* unless they are also LU stations. *There must be
some reason why Lewisham is different.

*A sometimes open booth at Canary Wharf being an apparent exception.

Whaddayaknow. Just as I say that, I see that they are installing
brand new ticket machines at DLR stations which (can) have Oyster pads
attached.