Old December 20th 08, 12:24 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Coffee & ITSO

On 20 Dec, 00:28, "Michael R N Dolbear" wrote:

Mizter T wrote

So whether it's cheaper to just buy an out-boundary Day
Travelcard or instead get a normal return to London and
then use Oyster PAYG depends on a number of factors...

[...]

In Robert's case he could possibly end up saving a little bit of
money but it depends what Railcard he holds. If it is a Senior
Railcard then (a) if he ever goes to London and only travels by
bus or only makes say one Tube and one bus journey, and (b)
can be bothered to get the Railcard discount loaded on an
Oyster card, then he might save a little cash, though to be
honest it is so marginal I wouldn't get very excited about it!

Anyway, sorry I've made this all sound very complicated, I was

[...]

Hee

"If it is a Senior Railcard" then Robert is also entitled, *if an
English resident* to a English National Bus Pass so can travel free on
buses. Same, probably, for a Disabled Railcard.

Arghh! Of course, the National Bus Pass. That does change things
somewhat. Unless one isn't a resident of England of course!

So even more complicated.

Yes... and no, at least not perhaps in Robert's case! The only real
clear benefit I could identify for someone in Robert's position of
using Oyster PAYG is that of someone who wanted to travel on a couple
of buses - so if someone in that position can travel on buses for
free, that consideration disappears in a puff of smoke!

I have previously noted that when traveling before the SuperOff-peak
kicks in and if the difference between Off-peak and SuperOff-peak is
significant (trivial from Reading) it may cheaper to buy a Off-peak Day
Return to a point in the zones, say to the first station in Zone 6,
plus a zones 1-6 ODTC .

Interesting. Though in such a scenario the train does actually have to
stop at the ticket changeover point - thus you either need to persuade
the ticket clerk at your starting station to sell you the required
combo, or otherwise get off the train at the appropriate station, buy
a ticket and then catch the next train.