Old December 20th 08, 08:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default LT Goldcard

On Dec 20, 12:14*am, Mizter T wrote:

ought to cut some of long, interesting discussion

They are "ahead of the game" at Lewisham simply because of the
presence of the DLR. They don't have any motivation to sell Oyster
products at any of their other stations (apart from New Cross when the
ELL reopens) until they start to accept Oyster PAYG on their trains.

Just on this point, this is the reasoning I can't follow, given that,
till very recently, pure DLR stations have not allowed Oyster topups,
so why there? And if it's for the DLR, why not at Loampit Vale where
the new machine is?

My hypothesis is that it's an LUL machine there to provide a service
for a very busy NR station that is unusually lacking in nearby shops
that could provide for for the thousands of people who want Oyster
travelcards.

There is a high demand for this at busy NR stations all over London,
particularly south. I think the presence of the DLR is a red herring,
and if it's not, it ought to be. (That is, my hypothesis relates to
the greatest benefit to travellers.)

So instead let's consider gating just the NR platforms. Platforms 2
and 3 are directly accessible from the main (old) station building
whilst this also provides access to the old subway to platforms 1 and
4. However there are also subways from near the new ticket office on
the 'DLR concourse' to platforms 1 and 4 as well as the extra side
entrance to platform 3 (all the latter are currently closed for the
installation of lifts). The main station building could play host to
gates and would enclose the old subway, but I'm not sure whether it's
a realistic proposal to put gates on the other entrances to platforms
as well. Perhaps it could be done.

I am still mystified as to what the arrangement might be when all the
building works finish.

Though to be clear the building works are only for the installation of
lifts, there's no associated gating going along - at least nothing
that I've heard of.

Sounds likely, although I was wondering if there was any possibility
of new short cuts or easier routes in general.