Old December 20th 08, 10:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Aston-Martin Boris bus

In article
,
() wrote:

On 20 Dec, 20:24, Adrian wrote:
gurgled happily, sounding much like they
were saying:

Does anybody here seriously think that a new bus will be allowed
with open rear deck.

I sincerely hope so.

An open platform may make sense in Oxford Street where the speeds of
traffic are pretty slow but really anywhere else it is simply
dangerous - the only justification of an open platform is so that
people can get on and off at places which aren't bus stops - is there
any other?. Mind you, Oxford Street is the only place I saw a
potential boarder fall backwards off a Routemaster into the gutter
when they missed a bus moving off.

On the Railways, people try to open doors on Mark III carriages when
the central locking has been applied even when they are told to stop
by platform staff. On the Tube, people try to get tube doors open
with the slightest opening jamming themselves in. You can't tell me
that people won't try to board moving buses that they have just missed
and that is dangerous.

No amount of education will change public nature.

It's up to individuals to look after themselves to that extent. We have
enough of a nanny state as it is!

--
Colin Rosenstiel