Old December 21st 08, 12:28 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default King George V

On 20 Dec, 22:21, "tim....." wrote:

"Chris Read" wrote:

Why was this DLR station so called? It's in North Woolwich, so what was
wrong with that name?

It's named after the dock that (used to be/is) there

It very much is still there! It's one of the "Royals", and the DLR
station almost right next to it - however you can't get up to the
water's edge, though I think there may be a development in the
pipeline here that would change that... although a quick shufti at LB
Newham's planning website hasn't shone any light on that.

I say it very much is still there - but not all of it! A little bit of
the dock to the west was filled in to provide some land on which to
build the terminal buildings for City Airport - though AFAICS it
really is only a little bit. Said airport has its runway on the former
wharf between Albert Dock and King George V Dock.

This map shows that I'm not just making it all up:
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/oldmap.sr...&y=180250&ar=N
(click on 'larger map' under the mapping to, er, get a larger map)

More information on King George V from the fab Port Cities website:
http://www.portcities.org.uk/london/...ge-V-Dock.html

By the by, traditionally speaking North Woolwich was actually a part
of Kent, but I won't get in to that now!