Old December 22nd 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J.[_2_] Richard J.[_2_] is offline

Default King George V

wrote in message
On Dec 20, 10:44 pm, "Peter Smyth" wrote:
"Chris Read" wrote in message

Why was this DLR station so called? It's in North Woolwich, so what
was wrong with that name?

King George V DLR station was opened a year before North Woolwich closed
so to call them both North Woolwich would have been rather confusing.

I don't see why. There are plenty of other examples of 2 seperate
stations having the same name - canary wharf for example.

Yes, and most of them cause confusion.

King George V to me seems rather a daft name as I suspect most people
using the station want to travel to north woolwich, not the dock itself.

North Woolwich is itself rather a daft name. It sounds like the northern
part of Woolwich, but it's separated from Woolwich by a sodding great tidal
river with no road access. To have "North Woolwich" and "Woolwich Arsenal"
as adjacent stations on the same line but on different sides of the river
was perhaps thought to be too prone to confusion. East Silvertown would
have been more logical, but prosaic. King George V has a nice ring of
history about it.
--
Richard J.