Old December 23rd 08, 05:04 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Matthew Dickinson Matthew Dickinson is offline

Default Oyster Pay-as-you-Go on National Rail in London - ImplementationDate!

On 23 Dec, 16:17, Mizter T wrote:
On 23 Dec, 15:49, "David A Stocks" wrote:

"Mr Thant" wrote:

20 September 2009 is also the Southern franchise changeover date.

For someone like me, who uses a paper annual NR season plus PAYG for
occasional trips in London, this could be a real nuisance. I have already
mistakenly presented my Oyster card to the NR barriers at Victoria. At the
moment this is no problem: the barrier refuses the card and I get out the
season ticket instead. What's going to happen in the future? Will I get
charged a minimum cash fare and then have to call a premium rate number to
get it refunded? If Southern can offer Oyster compatible tickets all the way
to the coast then the issue goes away, but I don't see evidence of this
happening within the next 9 months.

It remains to be seen whether that could even happen in the next 9
years!

I don't now see Oyster PAYG as a charging scheme extending at all
outside Greater London, apart from it being extended to Maidenhead &
Shenfield in due course.

The Trainline did propose at one point to issue tickets on Oyster
plastic, but with the removal of Mifare Classic as a option for
National Rail ticketing, I don't think there will be any future moves
in this direction.