Old December 10th 03, 12:55 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Andy Lord Andy Lord is offline

Default New M6 Toll road opens,road for fools ?

"Aidan Stanger" wrote in message
FWIW I support the toll in principle, but am unhappy about the deal that
the company that built it got (considering the amount of commercial
freedom they got, the government should've insisted on a better deal)
and am opposed to the exorbitant rate that vans get charged (surely they
don't cause that much more congestion than cars?)

Vans are charged the same rate as cars UNLESS their height at the front axle
is over 1.3m. So all small vans (Escort/Combo etc) are charged at £3/£2/£1
(Class 2). I suspect that Merc Vitos and VW Transporters MAY also just
squeeze under the 1.3m and be in Class 2, I've not checked yet though. What
is being described as the 'van' rate is actually Class 4 and covers any
vehicle with 2 axles that is over 1.3m at the front axle. It includes all
Transits, 7.5 tonners, some larger trucks and many coaches.

Andy