Old December 24th 08, 02:16 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Oyster Pay-as-you-Go on National Rail in London - ImplementationDate!

On 23 Dec, 21:50, Chris wrote:

On 23 Dec, 19:03, Mizter T wrote:

The extension of Oyster PAYG to Heathrow Connect does at least put one
little query about Crossrail to bed - the question of whether or not
Oyster could be used to Heathrow on Crossrail. The follow-on question
of whether using Crossrail to Heathrow would attract a surcharge above
and beyond a normal London zonal fare, as will be the case with
Heathrow Connect, remains open.

From conversations that I've had with Crossrail reps & BAA reps,
Crossrail is taking over the HC operation, and fares to Heathrow will
remain the same at changeover. This is because the Heathrow spur is
not part of the National Rail network, but privately owned by BAA. So
the answer to the question above is 'yes' (as it does now)

Sorry I didn't do a very good job of making myself clear. My comments
were written on the assumption that the Heathrow Connect service would
indeed be completely substituted by the new Crossrail service, as is
made clear in the Crossrail masterplan. My point was really about the
question marks some people had held up about whether Crossrail would
be able to ensure that Oyster PAYG could be used to and from Heathrow,
what with the Heathrow section of line being owned by BAA. There had
been some worries that BAA would block the use of Oyster PAYG because
it would mean that passenger's could no longer be charged a premium
for the priviledge of travelling by mainline rail to and from
Heathrow. This arrangement with Heathrow Connect has proven that any
such obstacle is easily surmountable, because Oyster PAYG can easily
be configured to charge a surcharge/premium for such journeys.

Hex is another BAA service & will continue (still charging a higher
premium).

In my earlier comments I tried to draw a dodgy terminological
distinction between a Heathrow Connect "surcharge" for Oyster PAYG
users, and the "premium" charged to travel on the Heathrow Express. I
don't think I have the influence to dictate that my perhaps somewhat
dodgy terminological distinction should be universally adopted
however, so I'll give up on that one right now!

I understand that the link will open up at some stage to other operators
on an open-access agreement some time in the future. Also, the
proposed Airtrack to Terminal 5 will likewise be owned by BAA from
Staines to T5, andagain, attract a premium.

I wonder if this is perchance related to the EU ruling that railways
must open up to all operators by 2010? I'm afraid I'm not at all clued
up on the specifics of this whatsoever, but I am curious about what
railways it applies to - BAA's branch line is classed as a 'private
railway' after all (though I suppose one could argue it is public in
the sense that it is served by public passenger trains).