Old December 24th 08, 08:41 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Chris[_2_] Chris[_2_] is offline

Default Oyster Pay-as-you-Go on National Rail in London - ImplementationDate!

On 24 Dec, 02:17, "Andrew Heenan" wrote:

It may not be that quick (BAA are fairly stupid), but very few will change
from a crossrail heathrow stopper to catch a premium-priced 'express' for a
16 minute ride instead of a 22 minute one.

In the London - Heathrow direction, I'll grant you that very few will
transfer from Crossrail to Hex. However, I think you'll find that the
majority using Hex over Connect from Paddington currently probably
don't arrive at Padd by tube - but by taxi or private vehicle. Why use
the tube if you can afford Hex over Connect, for the little time
difference? Hex is, and will remain, a premium service - and those
using premium services likely fly business / First (or are on business
expenses, i.e. not paying personally), and use taxis. These people
will continue, even after Crossrail (there's no first class on
Crossrail, which will be like sardine cans in the peaks).

It'll take longer for the folk
arriving at Heathrow to catch on that they are overpaying AND having to
change at Paddington.

My feeling is Connect passengers will transfer to Crossrail, Hex will
remain using Hex in the London direction. THose on business from the
city might change to Crossrail possibly, if they're in a hurry. BUt I
can't see a mass migration as the poster above was suggesting.

The options are either a few crossrail trains going fast to Heathrow after
Paddington, or no HEx.

The former isn't going to happen - read the CRossrail info on their
website.

If you look at total journey time, only someone living on Platform Five at
Paddington will gain much more than 5 minutes by HEx-ing; too few to
maintain a premium service, I suspect.

Which is also currently the case between Hex & Connect, and plenty are
us8ing Hex....as I state above, I doubt the majority currently using
Hex go on at Paddington to use the tube now, far from it, so I think
you're mistaken in your views.