Old December 10th 03, 02:01 PM posted to misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Access Systems Access Systems is offline

Default Paratransit Speed

In misc.transport.urban-transit Boltar wrote:
Access Systems wrote in message ...
also a much higher percentage of the subway (tube) stations are
accessible..

Thats because they're not nearly so deep down and so its a lot easier to

only a small percentage are "deep" what's the problem with the rest

retro fit lifts. Though to be honest even assuming someone in a wheelchair
could get down to the platform , how they'd get on a tube train in the rush
hour beats me.

why should there be a problem...people in wheelchairs regularly ride NYC
and Tokyo subways at rush hour, what makes the tube any less possible.

this has always been the biggest obstacle to access, people who have never
been there (using a wheelchair) telling the users what they "can't" do
without ever bothering to find out what they "can do".

the last couple times WMATA (DC) tried to count the number of wheelchair
users they gave up because there were too many. I have been on trains at
rush hour when 5,6 or more people in wheelchairs were on the same train,
and probably more I didn't see. I have heard unoffical numbers of several
thousand a day use the subway in wheelchairs. "if you build it we will
come"

but there is a certain minimum number of stations have to be accessible
for the system to be functionally usable. And it is generally been found
that the stations that need to be accessible are the same ones that
everyone else uses, so start by making the busiest stations accessible.

as an aside the loss of the World Trade center station on PATH and NYCTA
was a major loss for people with disabilites in NYC as it was the major
accessible station in lower Mannhatan and the substitute stations were for
the most part inaccessible.

Bob

safety deserve Neither liberty nor safety", Benjamin Franklin
ASCII Ribbon Campaign accessBob
NO HTML/PDF/RTF in e-mail
NO MSWord docs in e-mail Access Systems, engineers
NO attachments in e-mail, *LINUX powered* access is a civil right
privileged. They are intended ONLY for the individual or entity named