Old January 4th 09, 05:21 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Mizter T Mizter T is offline

Default Peak Prices on PAYG Oyster

On 4 Jan, 17:26, Walter Briscoe wrote:

In message
of
Sun, 4 Jan 2009 07:19:37 in uk.transport.london, Mizter T
writes

[snip]

-----
[1] Off-Peak Day Travelcards actually have a potential validity period
of 28 1/2hrs (from midnight until 0430 the following morning), but one
can only take advantage of this on Saturdays, Sunday and public
holidays (i.e. the only days when Off-Peak Travelcards are valid all
day inc. before 0930).

I would appreciate a quote from
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloa...-and-tickets-Z
-1-6-02-01-09.pdf to support this intriguing suggestion. I think
validity starts at 04.30 and runs up to but not including 04.30. Fun
would start on services - bus or national rail service - where a journey
starts before 04.30, but ends after.

No quote to support that but how about personal experience instead?
I've had the foresight to buy an Off-Peak Day Travelcard a number of
times in order to take advantage of this at weekends (basically when I
know I'll need a Travelcard the next day to use National Rail trains)
- said tickets have been purchased after midnight from both National
Rail and London Underground ticket machines and have been issued with
the date or purchase, as opposed to the previous day's date. They have
been accepted as valid by LU ticket gates and by bus drivers (and I
think by a TfL bus RPI during a late night bendy bus ticket check, but
my memory of such things is a little hazy!).

Actually at least once I purchased a Day Travelcard for the same
reasons before midnight - Southern's (Shere) ticket machines allow one
to buy tickets for tomorrow after 4pm, as do those of other TOCs
(though I think Southeastern's S&B machines aren't quite as clever and
only offer 'tickets for tomorrow' between Sunday and Thursday, as the
next day is a normal weekday and hence the only non-season tickets on
offer are Anytime [i.e. peak] tickets - I suspect the reason being is
that they can't cope with the notion that 'tomorrow' might be either a
weekday or the weekend/a public holiday which has no morning peak
period).

That's without taking account of the fact that one can purchase a Day
Travelcard for tomorrow from rail and Tube station ticket offices and
from participating newsagents (not sure if any ticket offices get
difficult when it comes to selling Off-Peak Day Travelcards for the
next day when that day is a weekday, I seem to recall reading about
someone having trouble doing this but AIUI it's permitted under the
rules).

By the by I don't know why I singled out Off-Peak Day Travelcards as
having this potential 28 1/2 hour validity period, as it would apply
just as much to a Peak Day Travelcard too - these can similarly be
purchased after midnight from ticket machines, or indeed purchased
prior to midnight from some ticket machines too - or again simply
bought from a ticket office during opening hours.

Anyway I have now just found this TfL webpage about the validities of
Anytime and Off-Peak Travelcards which by my reading supports what I
have said (and indeed what I've actually done in the past):
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/1055.aspx

For the record I will quote the relevant bits:
---quote---
* Anytime Day Travelcards
Can be used all day Monday to Friday, on the day of validity, and for
any journey that starts before 04:30 the following day. On public
holidays it is cheaper to buy an Off-Peak Day Travelcard.

* Off-Peak Day Travelcards
Can be used from 09:30 Monday to Friday or all day Saturday, Sunday
and public holidays on the day of validity and for any journey that
starts before 04:30 on the following day.
---/quote---