Old December 10th 03, 05:48 PM posted to uk.politics.misc,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Take a Walk Take a Walk is offline

Default New M6 Toll road opens,road for fools ?

On Wed, 10 Dec 2003 17:41:04 +0000, Mark Fry wrote:

I don't agree the Dartford Crossing is plenty, if they just done away with
the toll booths. I watched this happen on more than one occasion, the car
arrives at the booth gives the crossing officer £5.00, simple, cars cost
£1.00 so should be £4.00 change, easy. Not so, the half wit in the booth
then checks the five pound note out under a U.V light, fair enough, then
he/she proceeds to count out £4.00 about 4 times, just to make sure that
they haven't paid too much change.....By which time there's quite a queue at
this booth and this isn't unique, it happens at all of them......

One time I used Dartford crossing, I think it was around 80p for crossing,
I arrived at a 'throw money in basket only' booth and started throwing
loose change out of my pocket into the basket.
I only had tens twos and fives and the meter had clocked up 79p when I
ran out of change apart from a £1 coin.
So I threw that in and it ignored it completely! leaving me to reverse out
of the lane and move to a manned booth to pay yet again.