Old January 5th 09, 10:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london
ziggy ziggy is offline

Default Buying your annual season ticket on the first working day ofthe year

You British just love queuing, whether it be for a banana or a rail
ticket. I buy mine online. I sometime joins queues just for pleasure of
mingling with the English.

Patrick Osborne wrote:
Every year it's the same, and this year was no exception. The queues
at Lewisham this morning had to be seen to be believed; they were so
long that they were seriously affecting the ability to enter the
station itself. Presumably this scene was re-enacted across the
network.

Is there a reason why people queue up for ages on the first working
day of the year to renew their season ticket, when you can easily
purchase it online or by phone weeks beforehand, and at the old price
too? Or, if you insist on purchasing it face-to-face, why not buy it
a couple of weeks early, or make it so that it runs Feb-Feb rather
than Jan-Jan?

Are people really so stupid that they'll happily queue for half an
hour in the cold, or is there a reason for this annual craziness?

Patrick