Old January 6th 09, 09:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Patrick Osborne Patrick Osborne is offline

Default Normal crap service resumed

On 5 Jan, 10:24, wrote:
Went up to the sales on saturday. Coming back the piccadilly line was
fscked because of "a stalled train at cockfosters" whatever the hell
thats supposed to mean. Trains were all terminating at Arnos Grove
despite the fact theres a perfectly good crossover at Oakwood causing
trains to back up to finsbury park. As usual LU puts its own
convenience before that of its ripped off customers. Took hours to get
home

Whilst I don't want to encourage Boltar's constant negativity about
everything, it is amazing how on the tube the minute one small thing
goes wrong, everything screws up totally.

Let's take a look at the above scenario. A train is stalled at
Cockfosters, right at the extreme end of the line. There's a turning
point at Arnos Grove. Why can't they just switch the signalling to
immediately turn all trains around at Arnos Grove, so the only
disruption is between Arnos Grove and Cockfosters? In this situation,
passengers south of Arnos Grove shouldn't have noticed a thing.

Compare this to the excellent action taken by First Great Western this
morning (I'm not making this up!) on my trip to Bristol. There was a
major signal failure between Swindon and Bristol. They immediately
rerouted my train to run via Bristol Parkway and we arrived at Bristol
on time. They managed it despite having to deal with intersecting
lines and having to find paths between other trains; why can't the
tube do it on a single line with no junctions when the disruption is
at an extreme end?

Patrick