Old January 6th 09, 04:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
MIG MIG is offline

Default Normal crap service resumed

On Jan 6, 4:49*pm, wrote:
On Jan 6, 3:29*pm, John B wrote:

Indeed, it might be good to implement stepping back for emergency
reversals. And it's possible that it hasn't been put into place
because nobody cares about getting things going, or because of union
grumpery.

Wouldn't surprise me if that had something to do with it. However they
can do it if they want to - the victoria line is a good example.

I don't think that's true. The track layout at CULG implies that the
through platforms aren't reversible:http://www.davros.org/rail/culg/piccadilly.html#layout
...giving you 1 reverser at a time instead of 3 at Cockfosters.

No , they're all reversable - even platform 4 southbound. I've been on
trains terminating in all of them at some point or the other.
Admittedly only once for platform 4.

True, but I imagine they changed the signalling at the point when the
extension opened.

Given how people constantly remind us how old it is I'm not so
sure! )

There is one - its called Oakwood.

No, that's a plain-track station with no reversing facilities. Trains
that are advertised as Oakwood terminators are going into the depot
(where they can be reversed, but complicatedly and slowly because
that's not what it's intended for).

Nope, theres a crossover at oakwood just south of the station. Don't
take my word for it - check it out on google earth/maps , its clearly
visible. Whether its in use or not however is another matter I guess.

There is, and the latest Quail shows platform 2 as being
bidirectional.

Also, the crossovers at Arnos Grove are laid out for the sidings* to
be accessed from all platorms (and vice versa), so it's probably
intended that a train could go into any platform and then head south
(either into the sidings or down the line having left the sidings
previously). No point in having the crossover otherwise.

*South of the station.