Old December 10th 03, 08:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Martin Summerfield Martin Summerfield is offline

Default Oystercards at shared LU/NR stations

Richmond ticket office is indeed operated by SWT, so I imagine that they
would continue to issue Mag. Stripe Seasons as a matter of course..

As has been said here before, SWT have no interest in Oystercards. It may be
of benefit to their customers, but it just gives them a headache having to
provide portable readers etc. and having to deal with different systems.

If they had a choice in the matter they would choose to give you a magnetic
stripe ticket. As they are a National Rail company I suspect that in fact
they don't have a choice in the matter, and will be bound to continue
supplying magnetic stripe tickets until such time as all other TOCs adopt
Oyster (i.e. very unlikely).

I suspect that the only reason they are having their ticket offices fitted
out to cope with Oystercards is to meet their obligations to LUL, and to be
able to sell LUL tickets to LUL customers who have Oystercards.

If you buy a season ticket from Richmond you will undoubtedly be classed as
a SWT customer as opposed to an LUL customer.

Colin

Richmond ticket office IS being equipped to issue Oystercards, and will
doing so in the near future, as will Wimbledon. The delay in starting at
all joint LUL/TOC stations a result of APTIS being upgraded, where LUL
system was built for the purpose, which has proved difficult adding new
technology to a 20 year old system.
--
Martin Summerfield
Richmond Travel Centre SWT

Everything I write are my own thoughts and not anyone else's.