Old January 13th 09, 07:07 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
Andrew Heenan Andrew Heenan is offline

Default Ghost bus makes the news

"Mizter T" wrote ...
Anyway, the idea of having express bus routes (more than the
meagre three current ones) was actually championed by your
best mate Boris during the election!

TfL's phobia about express routes even predates Ken; the excellent X43
(fast, and full every day), was hampered from the outset by having just one
set of doors, uniquely among central routes, which slowed boarding in a
pre-oyster era. Also, LT didn't have the sense to send it fast from Highbury
Corner to Old Street using the 271 route, which would have saved another 7
minutes by cutting out upper street and Angel, which was a wasted diversion
as the bus was usually already too full by then.

How it could have been considered to have 'failed' when it kept amazingly
good time and was full from Holloway to the city, I'll never understand (and
we were never told). They even used the best buses of the time - NI-built
Olympians.

But Boris's Master Plan isn't for radial routes (proven need), but for
outer-London links, bypassing the centre (may well be a need, but unproven).

Once the BlunderBus hits the streets, we'll see how the plans change ...
--

Andrew